Delicious Copycat Recipe For Applebee's French Onion Soup
Applebee's French Onion SoupDelicious Copycat Recipe For Applebee's French Onion SoupRecipeKitchen
Medium white onions, sliced
Beef broth (Swanson is best)
Ground black pepper
Plain hamburger buns
2 1/2 teaspoons
Shredded parmesan cheese
Slices provolone cheese
- Preheat the saucepan over medium to high heat. Add three tablespoons of oil. Once the pan is heated, sauté the onions for about 20 minutes. Wait for the onions to soften and becomes almost transparent. Make sure to stop before the onions turn brown.
- Once the onions are ready, add water, garlic powder, beef broth, black pepper and salt to the saucepan. Allow the mixture to boil. Once the mixture starts boiling, decrease the heat. Allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- While waiting for the mixture to simmer, make your croutons. Get the five hamburger buns. Notice that each hamburger buns have a top and bottom layer. First, you need to remove the top half of the top part of the buns. Cut it off in a way that the top and bottom part of the buns have the same thickness. Throw away the top half of the top part of the hamburger buns. Now, there should be 10 breads with approximately the same thickness (5 top buns without the tops removed and 5 bottom buns). Preheat your over to 325 degrees Celsius. After preheating, put the bread inside the oven for about 20 minutes (or until the bread turns crispy and golden brown). Make sure that you place the bread right on top of the rack and bake. Once the breads are ready, set them aside.
- After the mixture is done, get one cup of the soup and put it into the bowl. Ensure that the bowl is oven-safe. Get a crouton and place it on top of the bowl. Then, get a piece of provolone cheese and put it on top of the crouton bread. Grate half teaspoon of parmesan cheese and put in on top of the provolone cheese.
- Preheat oven to high broil. Place the bowl and broil the mixture for approximately 5 minutes or at least until the parmesan cheese melts or start to turn golden brown. If you are broiling more than one soup, then it you may have to broil it longer than 5 minutes. After the soup is done, add another half teaspoon of parmesan cheese and place it on top of the mixture then serve. Continue the process until all the servings are done.